Senior Software Engineer, Web Development
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test — the highest-rated, most accurate on the market — enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the world’s only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embark’s Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
On the web development team, you will craft delightful digital experiences with Product Management and Design partners that span a full vertical slice, from UI to backend. This is one of the most exciting times to join Embark! This year the team will:
- Evolve Embark’s architecture to enable Embark to continue to scale exponentially
- Bring to life new and exciting business developments that are bringing Embark closer to ending preventable disease in dogs
- Compound the delightful experiences we provide to our highly rated products.
TypeScript, jest, eslint, prettier, npm
React, HTML5, CSS3, SASS
NodeJS, Express, PostgreSQL, Redis
AWS (ElasticBeanstalk, RDS, ElastiCache, etc.), CircleCI, CloudFormation, git (GitHub)
What you’ll do
Senior Software Engineers at Embark lead by example through development of high quality, easy to maintain features and enhancements. They have broad experience and excel in a few areas where they have deep, passionate experience.
- Lead delivery of well designed and scoped solutions in collaboration with our Product and Design partners throughout the full web stack
- Deliver clean, efficient, maintainable code, as well as thorough tests and documentation
- Mentor other software engineers to enable their growth
- Leverage your deep knowledge of our stack to advise your technical leaders how to best tackle problems
- Contribute to improving our technology and development practices via retrospectives and other means, with the goal of continuous improvement of quality and team efficiency
- At least a Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of professional web development experience
- Deep experience in an area of web development (e.g. CSS, frontend frameworks, SQL databases, networking, etc.)
- Experience with customer-centric product development
- Expertise with SQL relational databases (PostgreSQL)
- Expertise with AWS or similar cloud technologies
- Utilizes CI/CD tools like CircleCI to ensure high quality, efficient delivery of software
- Comfortable working with frontend frameworks like Vue.js
- Understands DevOps, as well as Agile development philosophies
- Willingness to participate in on-call rotation including some weekends and holidays
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but we’re passionate about people too. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation — every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.