Lead Software Engineer, Science and Data Platforms
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test — the highest-rated, most accurate on the market — enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the world’s only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embark’s Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
As a technical lead on the Discovery Platforms team, you will drive a technical roadmap focused on bringing new scientific discoveries and product offerings to our customers. You will partner with our science team to harness the power of our enormous dataset, helping to deliver ground-breaking scientific discoveries through meaningful and currently hidden connections in that data. Your contributions will lay the groundwork for what is a rapidly evolving opportunity grounded in the desire to help dog owners more effectively care for their beloved pets. Your deep technical background will help you develop solutions that meet a wide array of needs, always offering a new challenge.
What you’ll do:
- Play an instrumental role in architecting, developing, and maintaining critical systems focused on generating scientific discoveries from our massive dataset
- Partner with the leadership team to lay the groundwork for multiple forward-looking product opportunities at Embark
- Partner with scientific peers to leverage engineering, data science and/or machine learning techniques to generate meaningful insights and discovery leads that deliver increased value for our customers
- Work in AWS to ensure our solutions meet the scaling needs of our rapidly growing business
- Collaborate with partners with expertise across a wide array of disciplines
- Support and develop a highly-skilled team through mentoring, review, and best practice refinement
What experience we’re looking for:
- At least a Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years of professional software development experience
- 4+ years of professional experience designing, building, testing, maintaining, and operating large-scale data pipelines and/or data science / machine learning systems
- 3+ years of experience operating as a technical lead
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with AWS or similar cloud technologies (GCP, Azure, etc)
- 2+ years of professional Python development experience
- Understanding of and experience with relational and non-relational databases
- Professional experience providing code, design, and architectural reviews to teammates
- Understanding of and experience with Agile development practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Experience that is Nice to Have (but not required):
- Professional experience in AWS technologies (RDS, Redshift, EC2, S3, Lambda, etc.
- Experience with systems in genetics/bioinformatics or a related field
- Experience with educating peers and partners on data science and machine learning concepts/techniques
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but we’re passionate about people too. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation — every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.