Research Scientist II, Nutrition Science
- Boston, MA
- Full Time
Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test — the highest-rated, most accurate on the market — enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the world’s only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embark’s Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
This role is designed for a Ph.D. in Nutrition Science who has specialized training in canine nutrition, direct experience in the pet food industry, and a strong desire to make genetics actionable via modifying and personalizing diet.
Successful candidates will have experience working in collaborative environments with cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate has specialized skills in metabolomics, systems biology and/or microbiome-related R&D.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Discovery and Commercialization. The position will reside in Boston, MA.
What you’ll do:
The Research Scientist for pet nutrition will support R&D centered on individualized diets to further Embark’s effort to deliver a best-in-class genetic health product to pet parents, breeders, and veterinarians.
- This person will be a scientific member of a cross-functional team focused on advancing projects in nutrition science
- Help design, conduct, analyze and interpret experiments in pet nutrition
- Liaise with scientists from strategic partners to coordinate and advance complex R&D
- Assist in implementing and innovating systems biology and pathway analyses relating to pet metabolism and nutrition
- Assist in developing and refining technology platforms pertinent to nutrition science,
- Be an excellent contributor through standardized reporting and documentation
What experience we’re looking for:
- Research experience in canine nutrition specifically
- Ph.D. and post-graduate training in nutritional sciences
- 5+ years of work experience in veterinary nutrition or the pet food industry
- Proficiency in programming in python / R and cloud computing
- In depth knowledge of genetics, metabolomics, epigenetics and the microbiome
- Plus if work experience in project management and/or business development
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a high growth, results-oriented environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and a genuine desire to collaborate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Deep passion for dog health
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but we’re passionate about people too. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- Working with the world's largest team of PhDs, DVMs and engineers focused on canine genomics and devoted to making the next generation of discoveries and technologies that will make the lives of dogs today and in the future longer and healthier
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid parental leave (plus paw-rental leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office downtown Ithaca, NY (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation — every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.