Principal Scientific Manager, Ancestry
- Ithaca, NY
- Full Time
Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test — the highest-rated, most accurate on the market — enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the world’s only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embark’s Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
This is an exciting phase in our growth. We are building a best-in-class platform for haplotype, relationship, and ancestry inference in dogs. You will lead a team of scientists working to develop increasingly accurate predictions of dog ancestry that can be leveraged to create new product development opportunities in both ancestry and health prediction. This team is working to innovate ancestry and population genetics algorithms in an extraordinary genetic system with access to unrivaled datasets for genealogy and genotype. Reporting to the Director of Research and Development, Science Products, and working closely with counterparts in Scientific Discovery, Engineering, and Product, you will inform Embark’s Science and commercialization roadmaps to support growth and innovation.
What you’ll do:
You will lead a team of scientists working to build and improve an increasingly accurate set of haplotype, relationship, and ancestry deconvolution prediction algorithms. In this role, you will act as the scientific leader over Embark’s core ancestry product, requiring singular decision making, risk assessment, and cross-department collaboration. You will provide technical scientific leadership through innovation, capturing and applying new scientific developments from research institutions and industries. You will serve as a mentor for future leaders, identify development needs, and support the development of Science department technical training programs.
- Lead a team of researchers to generate new data sets, enable data driven insights, and identify new strategies for Embark’s ancestry pipelines.
- Help to build strong career development strategies for scientists and serve as a career coach and mentor for junior scientists.
- Leverage deep knowledge of population genetics, statistical genomics, and computational biology to drive innovation.
- Build strong cross functional relationships with Engineering, Product, and other business leadership.
- Deliver on new product concepts, improvements, and targets that translate into commercial success.
What experience we’re looking for:
- You have a Ph.D. in Population Genetics, Statistics, Statistical Genetics, or a related field
- You have 5+ years of combined postdoctoral and/or industry experience in a relevant area of research and development
- You have experience in leading multidisciplinary research and development teams, career development, team roadmapping, and other leadership activities
- Excellent proficiency in statistical inference and probabilistic modeling
- Comfort with Linux/Unix environments
- Coding and data analysis experience in Python and/or R; Python skills preferred
- You are interested in data integrity, analytics and visualization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You have strong interpersonal skills and a desire to collaborate
- Passion for dogs and genetics
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but we’re passionate about people too. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- Working with the world's largest team of PhDs, DVMs and engineers focused on canine genomics and devoted to making the next generation of discoveries and technologies that will make the lives of dogs today and in the future longer and healthier
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid parental leave (plus paw-rental leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office downtown Ithaca, NY (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation — every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.